December 19, 2020
You mean, it has not been operating since the March 2020 fire? How many heads have rolled? Wait, where’s my list of ‘get out of jail free’ C-level listing?
Dateline 2020-11-30, Argus Media:
Malaysia’s state-owned Petronas is on course to restart its 300,000 b/d Pengerang refinery joint venture with state-controlled Saudi Aramco in the first quarter of 2021, adding more capacity to a struggling Asia-Pacific refining market.
The Pengerang complex in southern Malaysia has been shut since a fire in March. Petronas said late last week that the project is transitioning to commercial operations and a restart of the refinery and petrochemical plants is planned for the first quarter of next year, in line with previous expectations.
The project’s atmospheric residue desulphurisation trains are also expected to be ready for start-up in the first quarter. Repairs are continuing on the diesel hydrotreater, which is targeted to come on line in October-December 2021. Aramco owns a 50pc stake in the project and will supply half of its crude, with the option to increase this to 70pc once the refinery is fully commissioned.
May 19, 2019
Dateline 2019-04-04, Argus:
Malaysian state-owned oil firm Petronas is continuing test runs of polymer units at its new petrochemical facility in Pengerang in the run-up to the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.
Petronas has so far produced small quantities of on-specification product.
The facility, a joint venture between Petronas and Saudi Arabia’s state-owned Saudi Aramco, will be able to produce 900,000 t/yr of polypropylene (PP) and 750,000 t/yr of polyethylene (PE).
Petronas is expected to ramp up test runs and increase run rates in the run-up to Ramadan, which starts in early May.
Ramadan is typically a slow period in Malaysia, with working hours reduced in state-owned companies.
December 17, 2017
Dateline 2017-11-03, Reuters/Bernama:
Malaysian state energy company Petronas and Aramco are facing “technical issues” in finalizing the Saudi oil major’s $7 billion investment in a refinery project, but the deal will be completed soon, state news agency Bernama reported on Friday.
The government “is giving room to Petronas and Saudi Aramco to resolve several technical issues related to the investment agreement,” Bernama reported, citing Abdul Rahman Dahlan, a minister in the Malaysian prime minister’s office.
April 15, 2017
Dateline 2017-03-04, The Star:
Tan Sri Shamsul Azhar Abbas, then president and CEO of Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas), played host to several key personnel from Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil company Aramco when they visited Malaysia.
He hired several helicopters, taking the group to get an aerial view of the upcoming 22,000-acre Pengerang Integrated Petroleum Complex (PIPC) in Johor in the hope of convincing them about the huge potential of the development.
According to an industry insider, Shamsul was hoping to replicate the business model adopted by Canada’s oil giant Progress Energy Resources Corp – which is famed for having a successful strategy in diversifying risk and improving the viability of its projects by paring down stakes in its 100%-owned projects to other significant oil players – on Petronas’ projects in Pengerang.
So, after showering the Aramco’s people with some Malaysian hospitality, the insider says, Shamsul began to share his vision for Petronas’ Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development, or Rapid, project.
April 2, 2017
Dateline 2017-02-22, Reuters:
Malaysia’s state oil firm Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas) and Saudi Aramco are expected to sign an agreement to collaborate in Malaysia’s Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (RAPID) project, two industry sources said on Wednesday.
Petronas and Saudi Aramco, the state-owned oil company of Saudi Arabia, appear to be closer to agreeing to terms after sources told Reuters last month that Aramco was suspending a planned partnership in RAPID, a $27 billion (22 billion pounds) refining and petrochemical complex in Malaysia’s southern state of Johor.
An agreement is expected to be signed on Monday, said one of the sources who has knowledge of the matter and declined to be identified, during a visit by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman to Malaysia. Neither of the sources had any firm details on the particulars of the agreement.
February 14, 2011
Support me by purchasing my recommendations, or buying through my Amazon store.
First off, if you need my help to submit your CVs, donate to the blog, and I’ll review your CV to see if it is worthy of my (and my associates’) expectations. If you can’t figure out how to donate, no need to ask.
- ExxonMobil is looking for experienced Refining process engineers, automation engineers, fresh meat (sorry graduates). Apply here.
- ExxonMobil is looking for a Instrument and Electrical Technician, Mechanical Technician, Production Technician. Apply here, or snail mail to Recruitment, Human Resources, Level17, Menara ExxonMobil, 50088 KLCC, Kuala Lumpur. Hey, this advert was out on 29th Jan, 2011. I presume that the candidates they interviewed today are rubbish?
- Hey, someone is using the name ‘Coral Alliance’. It can be construed as a weak attempt to confuse people with the old Cost Reduction Alliance. Shame on them. Shame on you for being fooled.
- Petrolink is looking for Head of Operations, Head of Process Eng, Opns Specialist/ Engineer, Snr Process Eng, QA Specialist, HSE Specialist, Tech Integrity Specialist, Tech Writer /Documentation Specialist, Technical Trainer. Send in your application here, visit their website or snail mail to Petrolink Energy Services Sdn Bhd, Suite 14 & 15, Level 40, Tower 2, PETRONAS Twin Towers, KLCC, 50088 KL
- Saudi Aramaco is looking for a drilling foreman and supervisors. Call Scott, Recruitment Representative at +44 20 7632 4967 (Use Skype to keep those charges low, or take a vacation to visit my university), or apply here.
This week’s book selection is provided by Jabba:
May 9, 2010
And another opportunity for the off-the-street-Malaysian to be a big player in a foreign oil and gas environment. More fodder for my upcoming rant, ‘why are there no local players in Malaysia’s production environment?’
Here are the brochures for:
- Guidelines for Foreign Investors to Start a Business in the KSA
- Local Enterprise Development Division
MATRADE Jeddah: Market Alert #5/2010
SAUDI ARAMCO TO DRILL HUNDREDS OF WELLS THIS YEAR
Saudi Aramco (Saudi Arabian Oil Company) will drill at least 300 development wells on and offshore and 48 exploratory wells this year, an executive said.
“We are proceeding with our development and exploration program, and this year we are going to drill 48 exploration wells and 300 plus development wells”, Zuhair Al Hussain, Vice President for drilling and work-over at Saudi Aramco, told the press this week on the sidelines of an industry event.
Saudi Aramco would maintain the level of rigs it is now operates at 96, of which 17 are for exploration and the rest for development wells, Hussain said.
Decreased activity on oil last year led to a fall in the number of rigs used in the Kingdom to 104 from 130.
You can get the full Matrade notice from … Matrade, or I’ll email it to you for a fee.
November 5, 2008
Ah, I’ve been out ill for the past week, so this entry is kinda late. Better late then never, eh?
- QP is looking for a lot of people. You can visit the QP website. Positions available are HSE Risk Man Head, Lead Safety and LP (remember those?) Eng, Senior Safety and LP engineer, Senior Fire Engineer, HSE Eng.
- There’s another QP ad as well, this time for offshore engineering opportunities. Snr Elec Eng, Sub Sea Pipeline Eng, Proj ENg, Budget & Cost Control Eng, Cost Estimating Eng, Snr Process Eng (Technology).
- Synergy Oil and Gas Engineering is recruiting fresh chemical engineering graduates, or those with around 1 year experience. CVs may be sent to email@example.com. It’s also looking for admin execs who can run the invoicing / payroll / accounting web as well as be office managers.
- Saudi Aramco is looking for people. Drilling Eng, Drilling Supv, Production and Facilities Specialist, NGL Process Eng Specialist, Upstream Crude Processing, Process Modeling Specialist (I aspire to this), O&G Prod/Planning Specialist, Process Eng Specialist. You can send your CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org (so that’s what Melorita does), or Contact Armand Abdullah at +60379542764. Drop my name, please. It’s the same ad as last week, so’s my writeup.
- Ranhill Worley is looking for people, leads and seniors for mechanical, pipe stress, piping, structural and civil engineers. Queries can be sent to email@example.com
October 29, 2008
Hmm, not many oil and gas ads this edition.
- Synergy Oil and Gas Engineering is recruiting fresh chemical engineering graduates, or those with around 1 year experience. CVs may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Saudi Aramco is looking for people. Drilling Eng, Drilling Supv, Production and Facilities Specialist, NGL Process Eng Specialist, Upstream Crude Processing, Process Modeling Specialist (I aspire to this), O&G Prod/Planning Specialist, Process Eng Specialist. You can send your CVs to email@example.com (so that’s what Melorita does), or Contact Armand Abdullah at +60379542764. Drop my name, please.
- Talisman is looking for a QA/QC Safety Engineer, HS&E Integrated Management System Engineer.
- Hey, Awan Inspirasi is looking for A&C Rotorcraft Engineers, and Avionic Engineers. They are the competitors to MHS. Please support them, then maybe we will get some value out of the whole chopper industry. CVs to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
How was the PETRONAS open day last weekend?
March 6, 2008
Those of you who are thinking of finding out your worth in the Middle East may probably want to make your way to the Ritz Carlton between the 13th to 16th March, 2008. A little bird said to bring updated resumes and relevant certificates.
This announcement used to be on Aramco’s job opportunities webpage, but is no longer listed. I don’t know whether the event has been cancelled.
A call to the Ritz-Carlton reveals that Aramco has been having walk-in sessions every Wednesday and Friday, so I don’t know the significance of the 13th.