There is an organization called the Association of Malaysian Oil & Gas Engineering Consultants, acronym MOGEC. Its stated objective is to
foster a closer relationship among the oil and gas engineering consultants
If you look the MOGEC members, it seems as if it is a list of big boys in the O&G consulting industry. Now, are the aims of these entities the same as say those who are starting out in the field? They might be focused on:
- protectionism of their pie.
- cooperation to improve economies of scales
- self – interest in tailoring work to suit the Procurement, Construction and Consulting arms of their respective conglumerates.
- Possibly distributing work to their overseas partners.
What about the smaller engineering companies? They have different things to worry about:
- Getting work from big boys.
- promoting their services viewed as niche markets.
- Promoting their names.
- Growing specialised services locally.
- Getting put (and knowing off) the appropriate lists to get on, and people to talk to.
- Malaysianization of their operations.
- Access to financial instruments more suited to their scale.
So, do you think that another industry body, which I propose calling MOGSEC, be appropriate, and would it get support?
Don’t get me started on MOGSC (which is pronounced mogs-see).